Thayne Elementary Information
Dear Thayne Elementary Students and Parents,
I am very excited and pleased to be involved in the education of today’s youth here at Thayne Elementary. Because of the hard working attitude of the students, the support of the parents, and the dedication and training of all staff members, Thayne Elementary is a great place to learn.
We, the staff at Thayne Elementary, believe that our task is to help students gain the knowledge and the process of its application that enables them to become responsible citizens and life-long learners. This desire can only be realized as we, parents and staff, work together in a combined positive environment to foster our educational goals.
A good education is so important in today’s world and can only be realized as we all put forth our best effort. We at Thayne Elementary are committed to doing our part. We appreciate the great students, parents, and community members we work with. Together we can make education a vital, exciting, essential reality for our students!
As we all work together during this school year, may each student who enters through our school doors experience the success that will make them a better and more prepared individual. We appreciate the trust that you have put in our staff. Please contact us if we can do anything that will improve the educational experience of any of our students. We value your suggestions and opinions.
Dr. Lori Schieffer, Thayne Elementary Principal
Important Information for parents
BUS NOTES INFORMATION
As in years past, we require a written note when students go somewhere after school other than their normal bus stop. (Students without a note, will be sent on their regular bus.) This note must include the following information:
- Student’s name
- Student’s teacher
- Name and phone number of person making change
- Name of new location
- Physical address of location
- Bus Driver’s Name and Route Number
Please call the bus garage at 885-7146 or 885-7148 to help you with bus driver names and bus numbers. Remember that buses will only stop at already designated bus stops. The bus garage will help you with this information as well.
Please help us by planning ahead and sending notes with your students.
Occasionally, parents may need to contact the school with a verbal change in bussing. This should only be done in emergencies and calls must be received by 2:00 p.m. and include the information above.
Thank you for helping us manage such an important part of our day.
MEDICATION AT SCHOOL
Occasionally, physicians require medication to be dispensed at school. When this is the case, an “administration of medication request” form needs to be completed and signed by the doctor and also signed by a parent before medication can be given. This form is available on the Thayne Elementary website (below) or through the school office. It is in the best interest of the child and the school if medication can be dispensed at home as much as possible.
PARENT ACCESS TO INFINITE CAMPUS
Please call the school to receive information on how to view your student’s grades, attendance, lunch balance, and to pay lunch money online, etc. We will provide you with instructions and your “code” to set up your parent account.
CHECKING STUDENTS IN OR OUT OF SCHOOL
As a matter of safety, parents are to check students in or out at the school office and notify the secretary whenever a student is brought in or taken from school. The parents should sign the notebook in the office.
Please check in at the office and sign the notebook provided. You will be given a visitor’s pass.
- When a student is absent, please call the school and let us know that he/she will not be attending.
- Thayne Elementary follows the District policy for absences. The policy can be review in the office during school hours.
Infrequently we are forced to close some or all of the schools in the district. Closure may occur before the school children are to report to school for the day. On other occasions, the closure will occur after school has started. Closures may be for civil defense alerts, natural disasters, weather, problems related to the physical school facility, or other events. Obviously, personal contact cannot be made with each child’s parents but should there be a need for Thayne Elementary School to close, the following steps will be taken to notify parents as soon as possible.
- The automated calling system would put out a call to parents or guardians of each student.
- In the event of an emergency, the public will be notified by radio and/or television. If the emergency involves civil defense problems, civil defense procedures will be used.
- Students who ordinarily walk to school will be dismissed and will be expected to proceed directly home. Parents may give their children specific instructions to go to another location as family situations dictate.
- Bus students will be transported to their regular route drop-off point. As is usual at the close of the regular school day, it will be the responsibility of the parents to meet their children at these bus stops. If parents are not available, they should provide their children with specific instructions as to how to proceed from the bus stop.
- Parents should teach their children:
- Location of house key
- What to do at home when no one else is there
- What to do at home should there be an emergency
FOOD INFORMATION – WELLNESS POLICY:
Food and treats for classroom parties must come from a commercial kitchen/bakery that is inspected by state officials. Homemade treats will not be allowed. The ban is solely about ensuring the safety of students, as there is no way for the school to determine if homemade treats are produced in a safe, sanitary manner. For more information, please refer to the Wellness Policy at www.lcsd2.org.
The school does not have insurance but does provide an opportunity to purchase insurance from a private company. Information on this insurance can be obtained at www.studentinsurance-kk.com or by calling the district office at 885-3811.
Thayne Elementary is a Title 1 school.